Penn State Berks is excited to work with local schools to help implement a Learning by Making approach in classrooms.
This course will provide participants with an opportunity to work directly with Penn State engineering students in our new Maker space to gain a greater mastery of and comfort with Maker tools. The opportunity will be provided during open lab times to be scheduled in July, 2017. Learn how to stimulate design thinking within students and how to develop a design culture in which exploration, questioning, problem solving, and making mistakes are seen as valued aspects of the classroom community.
The course will include in-class sessions supplemented by online activities. Participants will have an opportunity to earn “digital badges” documenting the skills and knowledge they gain through participation.
After the introductory session, participants will deepen their understanding of design thinking and how to instill it by participating in hands on technology workshops. The sessions will focus not only on understanding the technologies but also on using them to teach design thinking. The sessions will be structured so that participants with varying levels of experience with the tools will benefit.
- May 17 Learning by Making: Introduction 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- June 19 TinkerCAD and 3D Printing 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- June 20 littleBits and Introduction to Coding 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- June 21 Robotics using Lego Mindstorms 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- June 22 Robotics (continued) 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- June 22 Integrative Activity 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- TBD Learning By Making: Conclusion
To view specific details on each class, please click here.
Fee: $225 includes instruction, materials, lunch and break refreshments.
Click here to register. Please register by May 12, 2017.