Completion of coursework leads to a demonstration of the knowledge of the fundamental concepts & practices of English as a Second Language instruction/service.
About the Program
- A five-course program for educators who wish to be ESL-certified instructors in Pennsylvania
- Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for ESL Program Specialist Certificate
- Apply courses toward a Master's degree in Teaching English as a Second Language
- Pennsylvania Act 48
- Penn State is an Act 48-approved provider
Who Should Attend?
Teachers who hold a Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II certificate and currently have an ESL teaching assignment or desire one in the future.
During the academic year, classes are held over a two-weekend format. In the summer, classes are held during the day for one week.
Penn State Berks
Classes are held on the campus of Penn State Berks. For more information, email Walt Fullam or call him at 610-396-6223.
Classes are also held at Lebanon School District. Email Fred Shattls for information about classes held at Lebanon.
Application and Registration Process
First, interested applicants must apply for the ESL certificate at http://ed.psu.edu/c-and-i/certificates/esl.
Second, register for a course by:
- Completing the course registration form on the ESL Course Schedule page, or
- Fax 610-396-6226, or
- Email completed form to Kathy Cavanaugh
For more information about registration, call Kathy at 610-396-6220.