FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is the standard application process to receive federal financial aid. If you are a PA resident and compete the FAFSA, you automatically apply for PHEAA's state grant. Additionally, Penn State uses information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for need based scholarships and grants. New and returning students should complete the FAFSA before the deadlines posted above. It is strongly recommended that you complete the online version of the FAFSA. Completion of the paper version often results in slower processing.
First Year Students
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) - deadline April 1st
Students currently applying to Penn State can complete the FAFSA4caster. The FAFASA4caster will help prospective students and their parents in the following ways:
- Start the Financial Aid process early
- Begin exploring financial aid options
- Apply for your PIN ahead of time
- Gain familiarity with the financial aid application process and form
- Receive a reminder in January or February to complete your FAFSA
- Receive an early estimate of eligibility for federal student aid
- Submit FAFSA4caster before early December
- When starting your FAFSA choose the renew option
Questions? Need Assistance?
If you need assistance completing your FAFSA or FAFSA4caster or you have questions about these financial aid forms, please contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). If you are hearing impaired and have questions, please contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913.
Contact the Financial Aid Office at 610-396-6070. Visit us at Perkins Student Center, room 6.