Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program is an opportunity for an invited first-year student to get a head start on your Penn State education in an innovative learning atmosphere.
The program awards all selected participants a scholarship of $250 per credit for the summer classes. This is a total of $1,500 your first summer (6 credits) and up to $3,000 your second summer (12 or more credits). For a grand total of up to $4,500 in savings towards your college education!
What is Pathway to Success: Summer Start?
Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program is an opportunity for select new students to start their Penn State career in a small college atmosphere with all the larger University opportunities. PaSSS is available for the first-year cohort of students offered admission to our campus in fall of 2017 or summer 2017. The courses will run during Summer Session II (June 26 through August 3).
The PaSSS program will allow you to:
- Get a head start on your Penn State University experience early this summer at Penn State Berks.
- Fulfill two valuable general education requirements that apply toward your degree.
- Have the opportunity to work on campus and earn even more money.
- Interact with student and faculty mentors to help you in your transition to college through the summer and beyond.
How does it work?
The courses you will take are required courses for all majors. One course will be English and the other will be Effective Speech. You will be placed into the appropriate English class based on your SAT writing score-- you will take either English 4 (Basic Writing Skills) or English 15 (Rhetoric and Composition).
We are happy to offer a “Math Academy” for those students whose Math Assessment placement test scores fall below the required math course needed to complete their intended major- this additional support will help students be better prepared to be successful in math and on track to complete their degree on time.
Any student admitted into PaSSS must agree to change their starting semester at Berks from the fall to the summer 2017. Our Admissions Office will make that change for you once we have signed confirmation that you have accepted your spot in PaSSS. If you are already accepted for summer, you would not need to change your starting semester.
To enroll in the PaSSS program, eligible students must:
- Apply and be offered admission to Penn State as a first-time, baccalaureate student.
- Be invited to participate in the program.
- Commit to attend Penn State by submitting the $230 enrollment fee by May 1, 2017.
- Agree to change their starting semester from Fall 2017 to Summer 2017. (If you are accepted for Summer, your semester does not need to be changed.)
- Confirm with the campus that they have accepted the offer of participation in the PaSSS program. Campuses will provide a written confirmation of a student’s acceptance into the program.