Bob Stickloon painting

Stickloon's large-scale paintings of everyday objects such as clothing create a presence that defies their subject matter. 

Image: Penn State

Freyberger Gallery to host Bob Stickloon exhibition

READING, Pa. — The Penn State Berks Freyberger Gallery will present a collection of work by Bob Stickloon from Oct. 19 through Nov. 16. There will be an opening reception from 6-8 p.m. on Oct. 19. This event is free and open to the public, and light refreshments will be served.

Stickloon is an instructor in art at Penn State Schuylkill. His large-scale paintings of everyday objects such as clothing, seed packets and flowers create a presence that defies their simple subject matter.

Stickloon explains, “Whenever I'm asked for an artist's statement, I always think of a bit of advice I received as a freshman drawing student. Our wise old professor told us, when we were groping for profound and exotic subject matter, that we have enough subjects within a block of our house to keep us busy for a lifetime.

“All the objects around me are so personal, collectively so telling of a lifetime of experience, that they really are self-portraits. I think anyone viewing a retrospective of my life's work would get a vivid image of my daily existence, and maybe consider the clutter in their lives of greater significance. My work is ‘about’ nothing but addressing the basic elements and principles of design. My subjects are chosen for the drawing challenges that they offer.”

The Freyberger Gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays, and noon to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. For more information, contact Marilyn Fox, gallery director, at 610-396-6140 or MJF4@psu.edu.