Commuter Camp FAQ


When/Where does my child check-in and check-out as a commuter camper?

Commuter campers check-in directly into the assigned classroom each morning at 8:30 am.  The camp ends with check-out at 4:00 pm each afternoon.  Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should park in the Student Commuter Parking Lots (G1, G2, G3, G4) located off of the main entrance at Harper Road.  Sorry, no late check-out childcare services are available.

Note:  Some camps offer parents a showcase of camper activities from the week.  Please take note to any special instructions provided on your camper confirmation details provided two weeks prior to the camp start date. 

The office of Continuing Education will communicate with commuter campers TWO WEEKS prior to camp providing a classroom assignment and a campus map.  

Can my child drive themselves to camp?

If your child is registered as a commuter camper, and is licensed to drive yes, they may drive themselves to and from camp each day on their own.  A parent/guardian must submit a PSU Youth Program Permission to Walk/Bike/Drive Home Self Check-Out Authorization Form to the office of Continuing Education prior to the first day of camp.

How can I authorize another parent/guardian/sibling to sign in/out my child?

If your child is registered as a commuter camper and will be dropped off or picked up by someone other than their own parents/guardians, the parent should complete and submit a PSU Youth Program Drop-off / Pick-up Authorization Form to the office of Continuing Education prior to the first day of camp.

What if my camper needs to arrive late, leave early or is sick?

Please try to schedule all necessary appointments outside of the academic program hours.  However if a commuter camper must arrive after 8:30 am check or leave prior to dismissal at 4:00 pm, please have a parent/guardian write a note indicating such and submit to the camp faculty; for same-day notifications/illness call the Continuing Education Office at 610-396-6225.

What items should my commuter camper bring to camp?

Each camp’s activities will include all the necessary items to complete hands-on or lab activities.

What will the campers eat?

Commuter campers attending the weeks of July 9-13 and July 16-20 include lunch as part of the camper fee.  Campers will eat at Tully’s, our campus dining hall; all campers will travel to the dining hall as a group.   Each seating will offer multiple meal selections to meet a variety of dietary needs, with vegetarian and gluten free items always available.   A name tag will be issued to you and serves as your meal ticket.

Commuter camps attending Camp Shakespeare:  Theatre Camp (7/23-7/27) will need to bring a packed lunch daily.

If you have any questions, you may also contact the Food Services office at 610-396-6354.

Who supervises the campers?

All University faculty, staff, and volunteers who are responsible for "the care supervision, guidance or control" of or have "routine interaction" with anyone under the age of 18 must obtain the following clearances prior to working with children, and renew them every five years:

1. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check (SP-164)

2. Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Form (CY-113)

3. Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check (Criminal History Report)

All Penn State youth programs have policies in place to ensure the safety of youth participating in our programs is not compromised. All program staff are trained in emergency protocols and all relevant internal, external, and parental reporting requirements.

Parents are encouraged to notify Elaine Berish, Camp Director, immediately if they, or their child, are experiencing problems, difficulties, or concerns with the program, other youth in the program, and/or  staff.

Is there a cancellation fee?

You may be subject to a cancellation fee.  Please review the cancellation policy as individually outlined for each camp offering prior to registering.  To view the cancellation policy, click on the online registration link and review the public remarks.

Can I send medicine with my camper?

If a commuter camper requires medicine required during the academic program hours the following guidelines with be enforced:

Step 1 – Registering for Program/Camp:

a) Parent/ legal guardian must disclose if medications will be needed during the program/ camp by filling out the new Youth Program Health Services Medical Treatment Authorization form (“form”).

b) The form is to be included in the registration process and may be accessed through the link located in Policy AD39. The form must be submitted by parent/ legal guardian prior to, or at the time of, registration.

Step 2: On-Site Camp Sign-In

a) A program/ camp staffer meets with the parent/ legal guardian to review all medication issues and needs addressed on the aforementioned form. If a parent or guardian is not present and there are questions, the Camp Staff should make arrangements to communicate with them via phone.

b) Medication is to be provided in its original pharmacy container labeled with the participant’s name, medicine name, dosage and timing of consumption. Over-the counter medications must be provided in their manufacturers’ container.

c) All medications must be placed in a zip-lock bag provided by the program/ camp. The bag should clearly identify the participant by name (see below).

d) The Daily Medication Log (“Log”), which will be provided prior to or at sign-in, must be completed and stored as follows:

d1) Parent/ legal guardian must provide pertinent information and sign (see red on Log example).

d2) If a parent is not present to sign the log, attach the Medical Treatment Authorization form.

d3) Attach a current photo of the participant provided by either the parent/ legal guardian or program/ camp. If a photo is not available, a second identifier must be used (DOB, etc.)

d4) The Log must be placed in the zip-lock bag.

Step 3: Procedure

a) Zip-lock bags shall be stored at a designated secure location in a lock-box.

b) At the appropriate time for in-take, two program/ camp staffers shall meet with the participant.

c) A program/ camp staffer shall assist the participant with retrieving his/her zip-lock bag from the lock-box.

d) Once the participant receives his/her zip-lock bag, a program/ camp staffer will confirm that the participant has the correct bag by looking at the photo or other secondary identifier attached to the Log.

e) The participant will then self-administer the medication.

f) Once the medication has been taken, the participant will hand the Log to a program/ camp staffer, who will initial that the medication was taken and indicate the time of consumption.

g) The program/ camp staffer will then hand the Log back to the participant and all items shall be placed back into the zip-lock bag.

h) Lastly, the participant shall return the zip-lock into the lock-box, which will remain in the designated secure location.

Step 4: Conclusion of Camp

a) Parent/ legal guardian and/or participant must see program director/camp staff to pick-up the stored zip-lock bag and retrieve all medication.

b) Medication that has been abandoned will be destroyed and will not be sent back to parent/ legal guardian via mail.

How can I contact my child/Penn State Berks in an emergency?

In the event of an emergency, contact the Continuing Education office at 610-396-6230 or 610-396-6225 during business hours.  These lines will be forward to the camp director’s cell after normal business hours.  In addition, you may contact the Penn State Berks Police Office at 610-396-6111.