The Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program is an opportunity for invited first-year students to get a head start on their Penn State education in an innovative learning atmosphere.
The program awards all selected participants a scholarship of $2,000 for enrollment in 2 summer classes. Actively engaged program participants continue to earn scholarship support in subsequent summers while enrolled at the Penn State Berks campus. In total, participants have the potential to earn $6,000 in scholarships throughout their time at Penn State Berks so long as they remain active members of the PaSSS program. Specifically, $2,000 for the first summer (enrolling in 6 credits) and a lifetime maximum of $4,000 in subsequent summers ($1,000 per 3 credit summer course, up to 4 courses).
What is Pathway to Success: Summer Start?
The Pathway to Success: Summer Start (PaSSS) program is an opportunity for select incoming first-year students to begin their Penn State career in a small college atmosphere with all the larger University opportunities.
The PaSSS program will allow you to:
- Get a head start on your Penn State University experience at Penn State Berks.
- Fulfill two valuable general education requirements that apply toward your degree.
- Earn engagement funds (up to $3,000) for working on campus, engaging in research with a faculty member, completing an unpaid internship, or participating in a campus or community service project
- Interact with student mentors, staff, and faculty who assist your transition to college through the summer and beyond.
Any student admitted into PaSSS must agree to change their starting semester at Berks from the fall (August of a given year) to the summer prior (June of the same year). Our Admissions Office will make that change for you once we have confirmation that you have accepted your PaSSS offer. If you are already accepted for summer, you would not need to change your starting semester.
To enroll in the PaSSS program, eligible students must:
- Apply to and be offered admission to Penn State as a first-time, baccalaureate student.
- Complete the PaSSS Questionnaire and email it to [email protected]
- Agree to change their starting semester from fall to summer. (If you are accepted for summer, your semester does not need to be changed.)
- Confirm participation in the PaSSS program by signing the commitment form by June 1.
- Attend an information and welcome session prior to the start of the program.