Hola, me llamo Pat y soy su enfermera (o)
(Hello, my name is Pat and I will be your nurse)
Spanish for the Medical Professional is a course designed to help medical professionals to communicate effectively through conversational competence at a basic level with Spanish-speaking patients in a medical setting.
By the end of the course, students will learn how to:
- Apply medical vocabulary in routine medical situations.
- Write simple memos and health related reports.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of some Hispanic/Latino cultural medical practices and the patient-doctor dynamic and relationship.
- Describe signs and symptoms from the most common diseases in the United States
- Demonstrate basic skills to conduct a patient interview in Spanish.
Certificate and professional CEU’s awarded upon successful completion of this course for the RN, PCHA and ALA:
Nursing Continuing Professional Development (RN):
This activity is approved for 20.0 contact hours from the Penn State Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing. Penn State Ross and Carol Nese College of Nursing is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Note: You must provide your RN license number, current email, and submit your course evaluation prior to being awarded your certificate of completion.
Personal Care Home Administrators, Assisted Living Administrators:
The Bureau of Human Services Licensing has approved this course for 6.0 CEU’s toward the annual 24 CEU’s of training.
Note: You must provide a copy of your PCHA and/or your ALA certificate, and submit your course evaluation prior to being awarded your certificate of completion.
Meet the instructor:
Gerardo Lazaro, Ph.D., CHIGerardo Lazaro, Ph.D., CHI™
Dr. Lazaro is bilingual and multicultural and has earned his Ph.D. in public health, is a certified health care interpreter, educator, and dynamic biomedical professional working to eliminate health care disparities while encouraging research and learning in collaborative environments. In addition, his academic development work includes the authorship of a textbook for basic medical interpreter training and a medical terminology workbook for medical interpreters.
Spanish for the Medical Professional (SPAN 5018)
Dates: Mondays and Wednesdays, October 18, 2021-January 10, 2022 (no class November 24)
Times: 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Delivery: Live Instruction via Zoom Classroom
- $995 for RN requesting 20.0 contact hours, or
- $695 general registrations
- Access to the eBook and four months of unlimited access to online educational materials are included with the registration fee.
Although not required, students may also consider purchase their own hard copy textbook for future use:
- Basic Spanish for Medical Personnel: 2nd Enhanced Edition. Ana C. Jarvis Houghton Mifflin Company. 2011. ISBN-13: 9781285052188