Teach Yourself How to Learn: Strategies You Can Use
to Ace Any Course at Any Level
by Saundra Yancy McGuire
This “toolkit for learning” used in First Year Seminar classes is written by Dr. Saundra Yancy McGuire, a celebrated educator who has also earned the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring. First year students, who should read the text during the summer months prior to Welcome Week, can expect that the text:
- Shares strategies for better study skills, time management and critical thinking
- Explores the importance of a growth mindset for success
- Looks beyond what we study to how we learn
Every first year student will receive a free copy of this text at the Penn State Berks bookstore using the flyer provided during New Student Orientation.
The Penn State Berks 2019-2020 Common Reading Program is sponsored by Barnes & Noble Education
The Common Reading selection should be read by all incoming baccalaureate students prior to Orientation at the beginning of the fall semester.
The purpose of the Common Reading is:
- to provide all First-Year students with an enjoyable and positive reading experience
- to reinforce the message that reading is an integral part of the college experience
- to foster a sense of community among our first-year students.
The First-Year Seminar (FYS) course will include academic expectations based on the content of the Common Reading selection.