Types of Benefits for Veterans

Types of Benefits for Veterans

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

This program is for service members entering active duty after June 30, 1985, and contributed to the educational fund while on Active Duty.

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

This bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected to disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for Post 9/11.

Montgomery GI Bill for Reservist (Chapter 1606)

Selected reserved enlisted personnel who enlist, reenlist, or extend to total six years from July 1, 1985, may be eligible for this benefit. The selected reserve include the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corp, Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army and Air National Guard.

Reserve Education and Assistance Program (REAP) 1607

REAP is a Department of Defense educational benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency as declared by the President or Congress. 

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Service members enlisted after September 16, 1940 who incurred a service connected disability while on active duty. Members must have a Veterans Administration disability rating. These members receive full tuition, books, and lab fees in addition to the monthly educational entitlement.

Dependents and Survivors - Educational Assistance 

Children and spouses of veterans who died or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of military service. Children are eligible to use this benefit for approved educational programs pursued usually while they are between the ages of 18 and 26. Spouses have 10 years from the veteran?s death or total and permanent disability rating to access the benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program Participant

Penn State University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Progam. Only veterans entitled to maximum benefit rate or designated transferees may receive this funding. Penn State and the VA will match the difference in tuition and fees of the in state cost and out of state to the student.

WAVE System

Each month all Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 enrolled veteran students must complete a self certification to verify their enrollment before payment will be made to you from the VA. Veteran students will be able to verify enrollment for the month on the last day of the month or after. This may be done by either calling the touch tone telephone system at 877.823.2378 or connecting to the WAVE System.