- The largest pure Army ROTC Program in the country.
- Producing some of the best young officers in the military.
- Proud to be a part of the Penn State Community!
Penn State Berks students can participate in the Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) in addition to their academic studies. This program cultivates the skills and opportunities to pursue a career as a commissioned Officer in the United States Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard upon graduation from Moravian University.
The Penn State Berks ROTC program is part of the Steel Battalion at Lehigh University. Lehigh University is the host school for the military science instruction portion of the experience, as well as other related functions of the program. Penn State Berks is one of the 11 institutions that make up the ROTC Steel Battalion Program hosted at Lehigh University. The other institutions are Desales University, Lafayette College, Kutztown University, Moravian University, Penn State Lehigh Valley, Alvernia University, Muhlenburg College, Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC), and Northampton Community College (NCC).
ROTC students engage in classroom experiences that foster leadership qualities, teamwork, critical thinking, and self discipline. Hands-on opportunities like physical training, leadership labs, and field training complement the special academic experience. Over time, ROTC helps to instill a sense of character, courage, and patriotism in those that commit to the program. At completion, students are prepared for service in the US Army, as well as leadership roles outside of the military.
Steel Battalion Army ROTC
Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC)
- 75% of US Army Officer Corps
- Commissions Second Lieutenants (2LT) for US Army (Active Duty, Army National Guard and US Army Reserves)
- 1 of 4 ways to commission as an Army Officer (Army ROTC, West Point, Officer Candidate School, Direct Commission)
Army ROTC is the largest grantor of college scholarships in the nation!
- Cadets must earn a degree to commission as an officer in the military
- Scholarship students must meet certain benchmarks to maintain benefits
- 1300+ Universities in the nation with Army ROTC
- Full tuition and fees (or 10K for Room and Board)
- $600 for books, per semester
- Monthly stipend - $420
- Different types of scholarships
- Active Duty (opportunity to compete)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
- Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) Scholarships
- Green-to-Gold Scholarships
- Nursing Scholarships
PSU Berks ROTC Benefits
- 100% tuition scholarships available
- Active duty or guaranteed reserve forces duty
- Monthly stipend while attending college $420/month
- Yearly allowance for books of $1,200 for those on scholarship
- Confidence and tools to succeed in the Army and in the civilian world
- Physical fitness and adventure training
- Potential simultaneous membership in US Army Reserves or National Guard
- Pay for attendance at training camps (i.e. Airborne, Air Assault, etc.)
- Tuition assistance in serving in US Army Reserve or National Guard
- Ability to use PA State EAP while in the program
- All uniforms and equipment provided