Kulturel-Konak named academic member of CICMHE

Dr. Sadan Kulturel-Konak

Sadan Kulturel-Konak

Credit: Penn State

WYOMISSING, Pa. — Sadan Kulturel-Konak was recently named an academic member elected to the College Industry Council on Material Handling Education (CICMHE) for the 2020–23 term.

Kulturel-Konak is a professor of management information systems and director of the Flemming Creativity, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development (CEED) Center at Penn State Berks. Her primary research focus is modeling, analysis and optimization of complex systems using metaheuristic approaches, such as Tabu Search and Genetic Algorithms, combined with techniques from Probability and Operations Research.

She said she sees this appointment as an opportunity to expand her connection with local industry professionals.

“I will broaden my involvement with local industry members through professional organizations and through the Flemming Creativity, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development Center and the Greater Reading Chamber of Alliance by facilitating research in material handling and facility layout in practice," she said. "Furthermore, there is no doubt that as an academic member of the CICMHE, I will learn and foster a great deal of best practices in building stronger bridges between academia and industry.”

Kulturel-Konak has served as chair of the American Society for Engineering Education Mid Atlantic Section and chair of INFORMS-Transportation Science and Logistics Society-Facility Logistics special interest group. In addition, she has served on the board of the Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) and served as president of INFORMS-WORMS (Women in Operations Research and Management Science). She is also active with the Institute for Industrial and Systems Engineers local chapter.

“I am truly honored and humbled to work with the esteemed members of the CICMHE,” she comments. “I would like to help increase the awareness and development of material handling and facility logistics both in research and educational settings by fostering valuable projects. I am excited to see how I can leverage my knowledge and experiences gained through my leadership roles in other professional societies, higher education, and K-12 outreach — both in the United States and abroad — through my involvement in the CICMHE.”

About CICMHE
CICMHE is part of Material Handling Institutions (MHI), the nation's largest material handling, logistics and supply chain association. The mission of the CICMHE is to increase awareness, understanding, exploration, and development of material handling and logistics through fostering and nurturing high-value projects and events. 

CICMHE is an independent organization that prepares and provides information, teaching materials and various events in support of material handling education and research. Founded in 1952, the main body of the council is composed of 15 college and university educators. Additional members are drawn from material handling equipment manufacturers, distributors, users and consultants, representatives of the business press, and professional staff members of organizations concerned with material handling education.