Lackman sets sights on becoming a physician assistant

Briana Lackman is on the road to success. She already has a job lined up after she graduates on Friday, December 19, 2014, as a medical scribe at Berkshire Allergy and Asthma, and several applications submitted to graduate school to study to become a physician assistant.

Lackman will earn a B.S. in Biology. She explains that she chose Biology because it?s the best path to gain entry to a physician assistant program: many of the requirements for entry are covered by the Biology degree at Penn State Berks.

Although she had planned to attend Berks for two years and then go to University Park campus, she stated that she ended up loving it at Berks. ?There were a lot of opportunities here, and I got close to my professors my freshman year. Everyone looks out for you here at Berks.?

She adds that she was encouraged to apply for an internship and she completed the first business internship designed for a science student at East Penn Manufacturing Company, where she worked in a variety of departments including the on-site medical facility.

Lackman also had the opportunity to conduct research on breast cancer with Dr. Maureen Dunbar, Associate Professor of Biology at Penn State Berks.

In addition to her studies, she served as vice president of the pre-med society, a student club; and she was a member of the executive board for THON; an orientation leader captain; and a peer mentor. She was also named Homecoming Queen at this year?s Homecoming celebration.

In addition, she worked as a part-time medical scribe at Berkshire Asthma and Allergy while a student.

When asked how her time at Penn State Berks prepared her for the future, she commented, ?It provided me with the leadership skills to be successful and the confidence I needed. It also taught me time management skills with my busy schedule.?

?The campus is very supportive and close knit,? she added. It?s like one big family.?