As part of Penn State Berks? commitment to helping incoming students make a smooth transition from high school to college, the college has placed a strong emphasis on first-year experience. To that end, each year one member of the Penn State Berks faculty and staff, and one or more members of the student body are named first-year advocates. This year?s honorees included JoAnne Pumariega, Instructor in Mathematics and Spanish; Karen Del Vecchio, Academic Adviser; and students Frank Bingham, sophomore Kinesiology major, and Chris Brendel, junior Communication Arts and Sciences major.
This award recognizes individuals who have made a positive impact on first-year students at Penn State Berks. Honorees were nominated by students, faculty, and staff as someone who has made a significant impact on first-year students in one or more of the following ways:
- supporting acclimation of first-year students to the University
- providing tools or support to assist first-year students
- helping students to achieve academic and/or personal success
- promoting a welcoming campus environment
- exhibiting a positive attitude that fosters a positive first-year experience