Now Accepting Applications for the Fall 2023 Cohort!
Step 1 – Participate in a Virtual Information Session
Please join a live, virtual Zoom Information Session to learn more about the Practical Nursing program, the academic curriculum, admission requirements including the TEAS Exam, financial aid availability, and meet faculty, current students or program graduates.
Register to attend a virtual Information Session now to obtain the Zoom meeting room connection link information.
Step 2 – TEAS Exam
All candidates must take the ATI Teas® exam as a requirement for admission. Candidates are permitted to test two times for admission consideration. Help me register for the TEAS Exam.
Step 3 – How to Apply
Applicants should complete and submit the following items:
- Practical Nursing Application and Non-Degree Enrollment Form (4 pages)
- $75 Non-Refundable Application Fee (check or money order payable to Penn State University)
- Two letters of professional reference (guidelines: submit on letterhead, clearly identify how long the author has known you, in what capacity they know you, a statement of reference and author’s contact information; letters should be signed by the author.)
- A 500-word essay, in APA format, describing why you are interested in pursuing a nursing career.
- Official Transcripts:
- High school and/or GED transcript
- College, technical school, or trade school transcript(s) from each school you’ve attended (regardless if a degree was earned/completed)
An application checklist can be used to help you track the requirement. Mail your application requirements to:
Penn State Berks - CE
Attn: Cathleen Phillips
PO Box 7009
Reading, PA 19610
Applicants are considered based on their academic capacity and aptitude to provide care to others. Academic capacity is measured by High School GPA, Number of College Credits earned, and the TEAS exam score. Aptitude to provide care is measured by your personal essay, letters of professional reference and personal interview skills.
Step 4 – Admission Offers
Candidates who complete their application requirements and meet or exceed minimum criteria will be offered admission on a rolling admission basis through June 1 or until all seats are filled. To secure a seat position before the class fills, it is recommended that candidates submit all application requirements as early as possible.
Step 5 – Student Acceptance
Candidates are required to submit enrollment documentation and a $350 non-refundable deposit to accept their offer of admission and reserve a seat in the cohort. Upon course registration, the seat deposit funds will be applied to the first module tuition charges.
Instructions will be provided to accepted students to obtain and record clinical facility clearance requirements using a third party partner. These include:
- Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and Background Check
- Drug test
- CPR Certification (BLS for Healthcare Provider including infant, child, adult and AED components)
- Proof of Valid Health Insurance Coverage
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance
- Physical Examination
- Medical Documents verifying student is current with their Influenza, MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, TB Skin Test and Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis (Tdap)
* Penn State Practical Nursing Program will not discriminate in the acceptance process due to a criminal history; however, anyone with a positive criminal background check (felony or misdemeanors) may be accepted into the program PENDING clinical facility placement. If a clinical facility denies a student access to their facility for clinical experiences, the student will not be able to progress through the program and therefore, acceptance will be denied. In addition, the Penn State Practical Nursing program cannot guarantee that candidates with a positive criminal background will be eligible to obtain licensure per PA State Laws (“The Professional Nursing Law” Act 69, P.L. 409, No. 10, and P.L 233, No. 64; Older Adults Protective Services Act, Act 169 as amended by Act 13, P.L. 233, and No. 64).