La Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica
Founded at the University of California, Berkeley in 1919, Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of South Carolina and headquartered at the College of Charleston.
The Society’s purpose/mission is multi-faceted:
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples;
- To honor those who have made the Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world;
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture;
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech;
- To serve its membership in ways which will contribute to the attainment of the goals and ideals of the society
REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP
- Must have completed at least three semesters of college work.
- Must have completed at least SPAN 3, or the equivalent, of college Spanish.
- Must have completed one course in Hispanic culture/civilization OR literature.
- Must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Must be community service oriented
- Must show genuine interest in things Hispanic and be of good moral character.
Initiation into Sigma Delta Pi occurs annually in April. You will be notified by a member of the Spanish program when your meet the qualifications.