About Counseling Services
Enrollment in college involves numerous transitions and adjustments that can be exciting, stimulating, and challenging, but also stressful. It is not uncommon for students to feel overwhelmed by stressors and have difficulty coping. Some students may experience significant problems with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, substance abuse or other issues that interfere with their academic performance. The mission of Penn State Berks Counseling Services is to provide short-term counseling services that are available free of charge to all students at the Berks campus. These services promote the mental health of students, improve the quality of their lives, aid in their academic success, and support overall personal wellness.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis:
Call Health Services for a crisis mental health screening. If unavailable, please reach out to another staff person on campus or call our local crisis hotline at 1-888-219-3910.
Health services will either schedule you for the soonest urgent counseling appointment time or refer you to local crisis resources who may be able to respond more quickly.
After hours or on a weekend – you can call the 24/7 Penn State Crisis Line 877-229-6400 or text LIONS to 741741. You can also call the local crisis hotline 1-888-219-3910 for mobile response.
If a person is in imminent danger or you require immediate assistance, please call 911 and/or campus police.
All services are provided by experienced and qualified therapists. Our staff include licensed professional counselors, social workers, and certified addictions counselors.
Students can be assured that what is said during counseling sessions will be held in the strictest of confidence. Information will not be released to anyone outside the Counseling Center, including faculty, staff, and family without written permission from the student. The only exceptions would occur when a student is considered to be in danger of harming him or herself or others.
- Initial student interviews and assessments
- Screening services for depression and other mental health problems
- Short-term individual therapy
- Short-term drug and alcohol counseling
- Crisis intervention assistance and referral
- Consultation services for faculty and staff
- Educational programs and activities including classroom presentations
- Referrals for medication, community services and longer-term therapy
- WellTrack – Interactive Self Help Therapy
- Each student can register for a free account using their @psu.edu email address that grants full access to WellTrack’s suite of online tools and courses that help support mental health and wellness.
- Thriving Campus - Off-Campus Counseling Resources
- We provide short-term individual services on campus. However, we often refer students with ongoing or chronic conditions to private practitioners in the local community.
Counseling Services operate Monday through Friday, with morning, afternoon, and evening appointments available.
How to Access Services
Short-term counseling is provided free of charge to all current Penn State Berks students. Appointments are available in person or via Zoom/phone. To set up an appointment, contact counseling services by phone, email, or stop by the office. You may also contact staff in the offices of Health Services or Residence Life for assistance in setting up an appointment.
Remote psychiatric services with our contracted provider, Mantra Health, are available to all students. Students who are interested in accessing remote psychiatric services for medication consultations will need to be referred by counseling services staff. Any student who is interested in remote psychiatric services is encouraged to schedule a counseling appointment to begin the process.
Additional mental health resources
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- NCAA Sport Science Institute – Student-Athlete Mental Health
- RAINN – National Anti-Sexual Violence Organization
- The Trevor Project Support Center
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Safe Berks – Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Support Services
- Holcomb Crisis Intervention of Berks County – Mental Health Crisis Intervention
- LGBT Center of Greater Reading
- Caron Treatment Centers – Addiction Treatment Services
- Berks Counseling Center – Community Behavioral Health Services
- Tower Behavioral Health – Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services
- Berks County VA Clinic